December Writing Activities

December Writing Activities


Oh December!  I love the month of December!  The classroom is full of fun activities and possibilities.  However, if you do not have a good timeline {or game plan}, December can be a NIGHTMARE!


I am a planner.  I have plans for upcoming lessons at least three weeks ahead of time!  As a Title 1 ELA teacher, I get to design creative lessons and activities that help my learners grow as READERS and WRITERS!  I do not have a set curriculum or even an anthology to use.  Now to some, this may seem daunting and more work…but I see it as limitless!  I get to design all of our activities, projects, and assignments, AND they are aligned to the standards, as well as the objectives that my kiddos need.  For this month, I wanted to focus on creative writing. 

Writing is one of my favorite subjects to teach, because it allows the students to show their imagination!  As a child {and even now} I LOVE to write!  I’ve always had notebooks filled with stories and ideas {which is why I use the workshop method with my students}, and since I began teaching, I have also LOVED creating fun writing prompts.


For Thanksgiving this year, I chose to create a writing prompt {because I wanted a break from the turkey in disguise prompt-even though we still read “Turkey Trouble” by Wendi Silvano} and made a FREEBIE for my TPT store {grab yours HERE}.

I must have been out of my mind when I decided to create my Holiday Writing Papers and Writing Prompts product, because once I was completed, the product was over 120 pages long!


Whenever I create writing papers, I like to include both color as well as black and white, because this allows teachers to have the option to print these out and copy them onto colored paper.

And even though I LOVED creating this product, my favorite was coming up with the TEN creative writing prompts!


Now I never know if my kiddos are going to like my projects…but this creative writing unit turned out better than I could’ve imagined!  My students LOVED these writing prompts, and were excited each day when they got to work on their writing.


There is plenty of time before winter break, so if you are looking for creative writing prompts or center work…check out my product!!

Wishing you and yours a safe and healthy holiday season!




-Rachel

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Teaching While Sick...

Never Stop Learning...